Getting on with local projects
The Victorian Government is making sure our state’s regional cities, towns and rural communities have the infrastructure and services they need to thrive.
Many of the 2017/18 Victorian Budget allocations are also focused on developing regional Victoria. This includes developing better digital infrastructure, and support that will direct more jobs to the Latrobe Valley and Ballarat through GovHub – two dedicated government complexes to be built by 2020. All with a view to creating more local jobs and enriching regional living throughout Victoria.
Regional Development Victoria is currently working with regional stakeholders and their communities to deliver a broad range of regional infrastructure throughout the state, including key projects to boost regional rail, education and health services throughout the state. Specific regional initiatives funded through the recent Budget include:
- $1.1b for regional public transport
- $64.1m to upgrade 59 schools in regional and rural Victoria
- $556.4m to improve regional roads
- $448.1m for a program to help eliminate family violence, with launch sites in regional Victoria
- Better regional health services, such as:
$8.3m for a new mental health facility in Ballarat
$7.5m to upgrades South West Healthcare in Warrnambool
$9.7m for new drug rehabilitation facilities in Gippsland, Hume and Barwon
$2m to help regional people access specialist medical care
- $174m for community infrastructure, education and health in the Latrobe Valley
- 25% reduction in the payroll tax rate for businesses operating substantially in regional Victoria
- Abolishing stamp duty for first home buyers in regional Victoria
- Doubling the First Home Owner Grant to $20,000 for new homes in regional areas
- $45m to boost digital connectivity for regional communities, including:
Better broadband in industrial and business precincts
Extending regional Victoria’s free Wi-Fi program
- $110m to expand Victoria’s timber plantation estate
The $500 million Regional Jobs and Infrastructure Fund is the Government’s flagship program for boosting jobs and investment in regional Victoria. Recent initiatives supported by the program include:
- Geelong Performing Arts Centre (GPAC) - In collaboration with Regional Development Victoria (RDV), the large scale redevelopment will help revitalise Ryrie Street and the Geelong CBD.
- Ballarat Station Precinct Redevelopment - A partnership with RDV that will create a vibrant commercial, transport and community precinct, and anticipated to create 30 ongoing regional jobs.
- Latrobe Dental Prosthetics Clinic - RDV is helping facilitate a new world-class dental laboratory and medical training facility in the Latrobe Valley.
- Eureka Stadium and Ballarat Sports Precinct redevelopment - RDV is helping facilitate the stadium redevelopment which, when complete will have capacity for more than 11,000, including 5,000 undercover seats. The project also involves redeveloping Wendouree Sports and Events Centre, the Ballarat Showgrounds and CE Brown Reserve.
- Shepparton Arts Museum - Shepparton Arts Museum (SAM) is a collaboration involving RDV that will create a new art museum at the Victoria Park Lake, incorporating a community piazza and a cultural meeting place.
- Grampians Peaks Trails - RDV is helping enable this world-class long distance hiking experience that when complete, will give walkers the opportunity to traverse the entire length of the Grampians National Park.
- Harcourt Mountain Bike Park - RDV is working with the local community and other stakeholders to develop more than 30km of new dedicated mountain bike trails at the base of Mount Alexander.
Why Regional Victoria?
Places that once seemed too far away now feel within reach, offering new and exciting opportunities to begin life afresh.Learn more
Curious about job prospects? Let us take the hard work out of finding out more.Learn more
Period or modern, renting or buying, let us help find the perfect roof to put over your head.Learn more
Primary, secondary or tertiary. Learn all about the breadth and choice of schools available.Learn more
With a little help and inspiration, you’ll soon be enjoying life the way you always wanted.Learn more
One of the top considerations when moving into a regional area is the availability and quality of health care services.Learn more
The Victorian Government is working hard to make it quick and easy to get around regional Victoria, and to and from our cities.Learn more
Moving to regional Victoria is a wonderful opportunity to start that business you’ve always dreamt about.Learn more
The Government is making sure our state’s regional cities, towns and rural communities have the infrastructure and services they need.Learn more