A happy end to every journey
Regular rail and air services and a network of quality roads means regional Victoria is within easy reach of wherever you need to be – from regional towns to city centres.
Today’s world is smaller than ever. Places across Victoria that once seem too far way to travel to are now within a comfortable distance.
The Victorian Government is working hard to make it even quicker and easier to get around regional Victoria, as well as between Melbourne and our regional cities.
This is why the transport network across regional Victoria is constantly being improved to make living in the regions convenient and connected. We are continuing to allocate funds to rebuild Victoria’s regional roads and make them safer in the process.
The 2017/18 Victorian Budget allocates more than $500 million to rebuild the state’s regional road network, doubling road maintenance investment, upgrading bridges, and constructing new bypasses.
For example, more than 850km of deteriorating roads in regional Victoria will benefit from a $260 million maintenance boost for repair and resurfacing. And an additional $49 million will upgrade regional and rural roads to improve productivity and safety for heavy vehicles.
Victorians deserve roads they can rely on, wherever they live. The same goes for Victoria’s regional rail network. The Government is continuing to revive regional rail with $1.45 billion for major upgrades across the state. This includes $435 million to make Gippsland services more frequent and reliable.
To kick start the new Surf Coast Rail Upgrade, $110 million will be used for a range of projects including track duplication at Waurn Ponds and reserving land for a new spur line to Torquay.
To give regional Victoria the best trains, over $311 million is set aside for 39 new VLocity carriages and a major re-design of VLocity trains so they can run on long-haul services across the state.
More upgrades will also take place on the Ballarat Line to Ararat, the Avon River Bridge on the Gippsland Line, and the North East Line, where we will start work to run new trains.
Bus services will also get a boost in regional Victoria and fund more than 100 new car parks and a new bus interchange as part of the Ballarat Station Precinct upgrade.
Regional initiatives funded through the Victorian Government include:
- $1.1 billion for regional public transport, including more trains, better bus services, new connections and station upgrades
- $556.4 million to improve regional roads
- $2.9 billion to help ensure regional families receive high quality health care
- $239.6 million to upgrade schools across the state, including those in regional Victoria
- $100.6 million to work with Aboriginal communities and support a strong culture state-wide
- $96.6 million to nurture creative industries across Victoria
- $86.3 million investment to help preserve and protect native flora and fauna
- 25 per cent reduction in the payroll tax rate for businesses operating substantially in regional Victoria
- $851 million to abolish stamp duty for first time buyers, including those in regional Victoria
- $50 million to double the First Home Owner Grant to $20,000 for new homes in regional areas.
Why Regional Victoria?
Period or modern, renting or buying, let us help find the perfect roof to put over your head.Learn more
Primary, secondary or tertiary. Learn all about the breadth and choice of schools available.Learn more
With a little help and inspiration, you’ll soon be enjoying life the way you always wanted.Learn more
One of the top considerations when moving into a regional area is the availability and quality of health care services.Learn more
Moving to regional Victoria is a wonderful opportunity to start that business you’ve always dreamt about.Learn more
The Government is making sure our state’s regional cities, towns and rural communities have the infrastructure and services they need.Learn more
Places that once seemed too far away now feel within reach, offering new and exciting opportunities to begin life afresh.Learn more
Curious about job prospects? Let us take the hard work out of finding out more.Learn more
The Victorian Government is working hard to make it quick and easy to get around regional Victoria, and to and from our cities.Learn more