At a glance
Nearby regional city
- Bonnie Doon
- Gaffney's Creek
- Goughs Bay
- Howqua Inlet
- Mac’s Cove
- Sawmill Settlement
- Woods Point
Winter: 3.2°c - 11.9°c
Due to variations in terrain, there are several microclimates within the shire
High country living
Mansfield Shire is a vibrant and growing, rural lifestyle shire of choice, situated 180 kms north east of Melbourne. Well known for its vast tracts of Victorian High Country, Mt Buller and Mt Stirling Alpine Resorts, Lake Eildon and mountain rivers, Mansfield Shire is tourism destination of national significance.
The population of 7,998 swells year round with a steady flow of visitors – some 1.2 million of them and around 80% of them stay overnight. Not surprisingly there is a high pattern of repeat visitation and many visiting friends and relatives.
Gold, timber harvesting and farming were the forebears of our modern economy which now boasts a healthy construction industry, broad acre farming increasingly complemented by small producers and of course retail, cafes and great coffee.
Mansfield retains a reputation for classic country hospitality and a passionate and fearless sense of self that acknowledges diversity and is welcoming to the many who aspire to call Mansfield home. An active arts community and vibrant event calendar add to the mix along with quality education and health services.
Growth is not exclusive to Mansfield township; our many unique small towns and communities are the preferred lifestyle choice for young families and retirees.
Mansfield’s economy is thriving and includes:
- Retail - focussed in Mansfield;
- Construction & Commercial Services - enjoying unprecedented, sustained growth;
- Farming - renowned for cattle and sheep and seed production;
- Agriculture – growing small producer sector fuelled by strong demand for quality, local food including pork, olives, capers, fruit, garlic
- Business, Property, Financial & Personal Services - based mainly in Mansfield township, however, experiencing strong growth in the home based, “rural lifestyle professional” sector;
- Health & Community Services - at levels few rural communities enjoy
- Training & Education Facilities – covering primary, secondary, outdoor education, adult education and several notable campuses including, but not limited to Geelong Grammar Timbertop Campus and Lauriston Girls Grammar Howqua.